Culture War Dispatches

from a Progressive People's Republic

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Toxic waste good for planet, study says

The Globe reports on two reports citing the danger of mercury contamination when compact fluorescent lightbulbs break.

“We found some very high levels (of mercury), even after we tried a number of clean-up techniques," said Mark Hyland, Maine director of the Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management. During several of the experiments, for example, he said mercury in the air was more than 100 times levels considered safe even after a floor was cleaned.

Clean-up instructions include: “consider discarding throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred.”

Of course, the studies conclude that the “energy-saving benefits [of CFLs] far outweigh the risk posed by mercury release.”

The battle against global warming is just too important. Unless of course, we’re entering a period of global cooling, which many scientists are being to suggest.